I am lactose-intolerant and not just the upset tummy kind. I cannot even touch dairy without basically falling over in excruciating pain. I was sick and tired of being hurt by dairy, so I did my research and transitioned to a dairy free life.I want to help everyone that is in this situation, because it absolutely sucks. This will also benefit newly transitioning vegans!
I am going to be answering common questions about replacing fridge essentials and where to find them.
- What can I use to replace milk? Almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, flax milk, cashew milk, rice milk, and oat milk. There are so many options to choose from. You just need to experiment with different milks and find what works best for you and/or your family. These can all be found at your local grocery store.
- What will I use to flavor my coffee? Great Question! Any of the milk above taste amazing and I posted a picture of So Delicious French Vanilla Coffee Creamer (which is amazing). You can also try adding syrups instead of milk. My favorite syrups are the Torani Sugar-Free syrup, vanilla in particular. The coffee creamer was found at my local health food store. https://www.torani.com/
- What can I use to replace my butter? Well, there are all sorts of brands and flavors. My current favorite, Earth Balance, is posted above. I found it at Walmart and you will not regret tasting it!
- What can I eat in place of ice cream? This is my favorite question to answer, because I am an ice cream connoisseur. My all-time favorite dairy-free ice cream is Ben & Jerry’s Dairy-Free Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Ben & Jerry’s also has six other delicious, dairy-free flavors that are worth a try. Another delicious brand is Haggen-Dazs, which can be found at mostly every grocery store. They have a wide range of dairy-free options, such as sorbet and mocha chocolate cookie. One more brand that is worth a try is So Delicious. As mentioned above, I love So Delicious products and their ice cream does not disappoint. Plus, you get the added benefits of coconut or almond milk with a twist!
- What about my beloved cheese? Don’t worry, girlfriend. I have you covered. My favorite brand is Daiya, but other brands include Follow Your Heart and Go Veggie. There are plenty of brands to try and just like the milk, you are going to need to experiment with different kinds. Finding vegan cheese is difficult, but it just takes a bit of research and exploring your local grocery store.
I hope this helps your tummies feel better. Email me for more advice and/or comments.
Ps. Halo Top just announced that they are making vegan ice cream! They will offer dairy and non dairy options now!